The 55th São Paulo Special Forces Police Battalion otherwise known as the Unidade de Forças Especiais (English: Special Forces Unit), often shortened to UFE, was a special forces police unit working in São Paulo, Brazil.
Description[edit | edit source]
They were an extremely corrupt police unit that enriched itself from the sale of human beings, abducted during their operations and disguised as prisoners, to the Crachá Preto to be murdered and their organs stolen. They also served as the enforcers and private army of corrupt politician Victor Branco, killing whomever he sent them after. This put them in conflict with Max Payne, who went on a rampage that ultimately exposed their part in the conspiracy and resulted in their official disbandment. Its currently unknown if any members survived or what became of them.
Equipment and Tactics[edit | edit source]
UFE tactical units are extremely well-equipped and some of the most difficult enemies to kill in Max Payne 3, with their body armor allowing them to survive several assault rifle bullet hits to the torso and be only temporarily staggered or knocked down, rather than killed. Their heavy vests are particularly resistant to lower caliber rounds, able to resist up to half a mag of submachine gun fire. Many of them also wear ballistic helmets, which must be shot off before they can be killed with a headshot.
They are usually equipped with military-grade full-auto weaponry, favoring the G6 Commando or FAL assault rifles, as well as the MPK submachine gun. A number of them carry shotguns, primarily the M4 Super 90. For sidearms, they generally carry either the M1911 or the PT92. A handful of UFE troops wield the M972. UFE troops will often have green laser sights attached to their weapons.
Some UFE teams will deploy smoke grenades in order to assault a dug-in cover position; these teams are generally equipped with gas masks. UFE soldiers will also occasionally use frag grenades to flush Max out of cover, but they often do not carry grenades, unlike the Crachá Preto who use grenades frequently.
One or two UFE members are equipped with heavy riot gear, being visibly more heavily armored than other UFE tactical units. They are not as heavily armored as the Crachá Preto's heavy soldiers, dying after only about a full mag of assault rifle fire or a couple mags of submachine gun fire to the torso, but are considerably more maneuverable, unable to use cover but able to run and charge at Max at the same speed as regular enemies. These heavy units have heavier armor vests, additional armor pads on their arms, legs, and thighs, and wear ballistic helmets with clear ballistic face shields.
Vehicles[edit | edit source]
The UFE members are seen operating with a small, but efficient fleet of vehicles:
- The lighter ground unit is an off-road jeep similar to the Crachá Preto, but marked as UFE.
- The helicopter is their main operation aircraft, which are used by the Comando Sombra.
- A large unmarked transport van, which are protected by UFE members for black market purposes. Blue lights and barriers are seen, hinting to a police-oriented vehicle.
- Battle trucks are their heaviest vehicle in the fleet. With a heavy machine gun turret, this vehicle offers transport, protection and riot control over certain situations that require force.
All of them are seen through the storyline and are usually destroyed in different ways by Max Payne.
Members[edit | edit source]
- Victor Branco - Behind the scenes Leader (unknown - 2012)
- Armando Becker - Official leader and Commander (unknown - 2012)
- Bachmeyer - Second-In-Command (unknown - 2012)
- Álvaro Neves - Captain (c. 2001 - c. 2005)
- Arthur Fischer - Associate (unknown - 2012)
- Milo Rego - Associate (unknown - 2012)
Behind The Scenes[edit | edit source]
Creation[edit | edit source]
The Unidade de Forças Especiais is a fictional police force created for the Max Payne 3 game by Rockstar Games. It is based on and inspired by the Rio de Janeiro's BOPE unit, and São Paulo's own GATE, GARRA, ROTA and GOE troops.
Pre-order patch[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Max Payne 3
References[edit | edit source]
- "Rockstar Research: The Weapon-Wielding Gangsters and Special Police Commandos of Max Payne 3" at the official Max Payne 3 website. Retrieved March 20th, 2012.
- "Lots of Deals Happening At Midnight For Mass Effect 3 Launch At EB Games/ Gamestop Canada" at Trendygamers.com. Retrieved March 20th, 2012.
- "Max Payne 3 | South African Pre-order Incentives Revealed" on Zombiegamer. Retrieved March 20th, 2012.