The Darkness Inside is the first part of Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne.
- Chapter 1: Elevator Doors
- Chapter 2: A Criminal Mastermind
- Chapter 3: The Depths of My Brain
- Chapter 4: No 'Us' in This
- Chapter 5: A Sign of Her Passage
- Chapter 6: A Linear Sequence of Scares
- Chapter 7: The Million Dollar Question
Max Payne, who transferred back to the NYPD after the events of the first game, investigates a gun workshop owned by Annie Finn. Upon looking, Max Payne finds a group of contract killers disguised as janitors. After gunning them down, he investigates the rest of the warehouse, and is too late to save Annie Finn. He then comes across Mona Sax, who was presumed to be dead in the last game.
Max then saves his friend, Vladimir Lem, from Vinnie Gognitti and his mafia gang. He tells him that Vinnie is eliminating everyone he sees as competition on the black market. Max believes that there is a connection between Gognitti and the cleaners.